Divers absolutely love it for good reason!
- Travel Time: 10 minutes
- Location: West of Sairee beach
- Depth: 18-30 meters
- Type of site: Shipwreck
- Level: Advanced Open Water diver
- Conditions: Visibility might be low
- Average Visibility: 5-30 meters
HTMS Sattakut WWII wreck is Perfect for Advanced Open Water divers and a prime spot to earn your PADI wreck diver certification!
The HTMS Sattakut has quite a fascinating history dating back to World War II, where it served as a Navy troop carrier, notably during the battle of Iwo Jima. In 1947, it was gifted to the Royal Thai Navy, and in 2011, it found a new home in Koh Tao after being generously donated by the Royal Thai Navy, in partnership with the Department of Marine and Coastal Resources. After thorough cleaning, it was intentionally sunk the same year.
Discover HTMS Sattakut Dive Site.
Located 30 meters deep off the south of Hin Pee Wee dive site, the HTMS Sattakut wreck spans 49m long and 7m wide and has transformed into an artificial reef teeming with life.
What to Expect?
Dive down to discover two impressive anti-aircraft Bofar 40mm canons sit at the bow and the stern, stairs, a front cabin, long corridor with different rooms. Swimming alongside the hull, you can peer through the portholes into each room, and inside the wheelhouse, you might spot marine life like Giant grouper, Snappers, Sweetlips, Butterfly fish, Jenkins Whip ray, spotted trout, Sea snake and yellowtail barracudas.
Can I go Inside the HTMS Sattakut?
There are numerous entry and exit points to venture inside the wreck for Technical divers or divers holding the PADI Wreck Specialty.
Start your exploration at the ship's bow, just beneath the gun platform. These entry points will guide you down a set of stairs and into the front cabin. As you proceed forward, you'll reach the middle section of the ship, directly under the bridge.
Here, you'll encounter a lengthy corridor that leads you straight to the ship's stern. While there are smaller and deeper rooms beyond this point.
TO SUM IT-UP!
- If you're an Advanced Open Water diver and this dive isn't on your dive goals, you might wanna rethink your plans!
- And if you haven't hit that Advanced level yet – it's the perfect excuse to level up your diving skills with our PADI Advanced Open Water Diver courses.
- But here's the deal – For those those of you craving to learn how to safely penetrate and explore the HTMS Sattakut wreck using the right equipment and techniques, Then the PADI Wreck Diver Specialty Course is for you!
- And if you're keen on adding more excitement and enjoy longer dive times, consider our Combo Wreck Diver and Enriched Air Nitrox Specialty Course!