Southwest Pinnacle - one of our favorite spots
- Travel time: 50 minutes
- Location: south west of Koh Tao
- Depth: Max 30m, Min 6m – Average 20m
- Type of site: Granite Rock Pinnacles
- Level: Advanced Open Water diver
- Conditions: Can get wavy with some current due to its offshore location.
- Average Visibility: 2-30 meters
The debate over whether Southwest Pinnacle or Chumphon Pinnacle is the better dive spot is a common one. But hey, why not just come check them out and decide for yourself?
What You Can Expect!
The top of the main pinnacle sits around 6 meters and covered in thick carpets of colorful anemones full of Pink Anemone fish playing hide and seek with potential predators.
If you have an eagle eye for detail and explore the numerous crevices and nooks that provide shelter for various macro life, you'll spot loads of small critters, including Durban dancing Shrimp, Boxing Shrimp, tiny Crabs. You will also find Scorpionfish and Nudibranchs. This is a paradise for macro lovers and underwater photographers!
The dive site boast an opulent display of Sea Whips, Gorgonian Sea Fans, and Black Coral. Amidst this backdrop, you'll discover the Red Harp Coral in the sand with large Barrel Sponges in the deeper areas.
The site teems with vibrant marine life, including large schools of Snappers, Trevally, Rabbitfish, Fusilier and huge numbers of Yellowtail and Chevron Barracuda.
Many different types of Grouper and of course, Titan Triggerfish and Whalesharks are spotted here too!
to sum it-up
Southwest Pinnacles is rated as one of the best dive sites on Koh Tao, it's an awesome dive site for Advanced divers or Advanced specialty divers!
- If you're an Advanced Open Water diver and this dive isn't on your dive goals, you might wanna rethink your plans!
- And if you haven't hit that Advanced level yet – it's the perfect excuse to level up your diving skills with our PADI Advanced Open Water Diver course.
- But here's the deal – If you're eager to explore this dive site to the fullest, including the secret pinnacle, you might want to consider becoming an Enriched Air Nitrox Diver!